Holy Stratagem! # 5: Study the Interior Life
If you wish to advance along the path of prayer, what is required, according to the wisdom of the saints, is docility and great love for God above all else. God can do more with a senseless child in his arms than the smartest man in the world. But for those of us too slow and stupid to love God with the utmost expediency, it is often times helpful to study the interior life.
The science of prayer is complicated when we have not experienced all of its riches personally, so do not worry if it seems very difficult to understand at first. Start small and simple by practicing daily mental prayer, and then apply your mind to works written about prayer and how God customarily acts upon the garden of the soul.
Here are some recommended books for we beginners:
- · Navigating the Interior Life by Dan Burke
- · Fire Within by Fr. Thomas Dubay
- · Fulfillment of All Desire by Ralph Martin
- · Discernment of Spirits by Fr. Timothy Gallagher
- · The Three Ages of the Interior Life by Fr. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange
This post is a part of a weekly series on the spiritual strategies given us by God to make us holy through: His sacred scripture, His Sacred Tradition or through His Holy Saints.